Sunday, August 12, 2007

Managing for Efficiency -- Part II

Frustration would be the best way to describe it. I have just spent the past 2 hours going through sheets upon sheets of non-sensical numbers. Only one person managed to enter all the relevant information in the corresponding column. Everyone else seems to think it's an essay format!

It has been a very frustrating summer period. I did my spring cleaning and fired two people I found to be incompetent. So there goes my 'Spring Cleaning' (done in the summer!). Now I need to help the survivors reach their potential.

Motivation seems to be a problem, since I do a very poor job at it. So, I will have a couple announcements to make:

1. You screw-up in a way that costs us time to fix a problem, you will have to fix it yourself, on your own time. Small mistakes are understandable, but we are not going to waste 3 hours to fix a mistake that shouldn't of have happened. You come in during your weekend and fix it yourself.

2. A cash-prize will be given every month for the 'employee of the month'.

Hopefully this will provide some motivational juice.

As for the efficiency evaluation, I am still working on it. Hopefully by the end of this week, I will have a clear picture of how many hours are being wasted. I can aready see quite a few wasted man hours. I'll be back with the results soon!

2 comments:

s101 said...

if you are trying to use these tried and true management principles to motivate (or change the behavior of) staff from the sub-continent...Good Luck!

I've tried (all those years of Western management seminars, classes, case studies, motivational speeches) but have been unable to make any headway.

If it works, I'd love to get more insight about the secret to your success.

Dubai Entrepreneur said...

We don't have a lot of staff from the subcontinent. In fact, we only have one Indian (out of 16 members of staff in our Dubai office).

You are right though, the work ethics and culture are very difficult to overcome.

The key, I have found, is to make sure the staff is very multi-cultural -- that way you get to dictate your own culture to the work environment.